Planking is a popular craze that has been sweeping the globe. Admittedly, it takes little or no talent to achieve, so it probably explains why it’s popular with
idiots morons creative people students…… I really can’t decide (I think I’ll stick with idiots*). Here is my useless list of the 10 things you didn’t need to know about Planking.
- The game is also known as the Lying Down Game (how very imaginative). It does however describe the ‘game’ in a nutshell.
- How do you play? It is an activity consisting of lying face down in an unusual or incongruous location. The hands must touch the sides of the body, and having a photograph of the participant taken and posted on the internet (preferably facebook.com) is an integral part of the game. [Definition taken from Wikipedia].
- It’s particularly popular in Australia and Asia. I have lots of readers over there. Hi guys, Do you all like Planking?
- I called them idiots* because on 15 May 2011, Acton Beale, a 20-year-old man, plunged to his death after reportedly “planking” on a seventh-floor balcony in Brisbane, Australia. He was the first known casuality of the Planking craze.
- Planking has it’s own website. Can you believe it? It really does and you can find it here.
- Social Networking is such a vital part of the craze. You can be part of the Planking Network if you feel like giving it a go.
- I have friends on Facebook who have tried Planking. I didn’t know whether to admit it – but it’s true. The question is….. Should I give it a go?
- Tumblr has a great selection of photographs of people Planking. Some really will make you laugh.
- It is claimed that the game, which has been described as “Parkour for those who can’t be arsed”, was invented by Gary Clarkson and Christian Langdon in 1997 and first became popular in North East England (That’s where I’m from – Oh the shame).
- I found another blog post about the craze. Worth a read. Here’s another great post about planking.
Viral Internet Crazes: Another crazy post about them here. You’ll be amazed.